Sharpen your skills by making this custom layout tool. Plus learn simple techniques for working with brass along the way.
Made entirely from brass and steel this layout tool is sure to be the perfect addition to any shop. If the thought of working with brass and steel seems a little intimidating don’t worry. There’s really not a whole lot of difference from working with wood. The metals we selected for this project are easily machinable with common woodworking tools you probably already have in your shop. The brass can be cut on a band saw with a standard wood-cutting blade. A hacksaw works well to cut the steel. Files clean up the cut edges. The only real difference is that instead of using glue to hold parts together you’ll use solder. If you’ve ever sweated a copper pipe fitting you’ll find the process much the same.
What you get:
- 5 printable (digital) pages of step-by-step instructions
- 16 full-color exploded views photos and illustrations
- Full-size patterns for all parts
- Shop-tested tips ensure your success
- Materials list
- Retail sources for hardware and supplies